Nookie’s new obsession is Annoying Orange videos. Totally random and bizarre, I know. YouTube leads to so many weird and wonderful discoveries. But as always learning has happened in surprising ways and not only has her vocabulary expanded through watching them, she’s also discovered new computer games, and new shows such as Wipeout, which we now have to play at the park. Great fun. :) Here’s what else we’ve been learning/doing over the last week or so:
* Putting a white flower into food colouring to discover what will happen. Talking about how plants take in water.
* Playing in numerous parks with friends. Making new friends.
* Visiting a dinosaur exhibition with Nannie.
* Visiting an armouries museum where we learned about armour and battles.
* Watching Halloween make-up tutorials on YouTube. Learning how to make fake wounds.
* Watching the Scooby Doo movie “Where’s My Mummy” and talking about ancient Egypt and pyramids. Playing at being Cleopatra.
* Practising her own make-up in front of the mirror.
* Watching a YouTube video with a toy dinosaur egg with a dinosaur that grows and finally hatches when you put it into water. Finding first a toy alien that does the same, and then a dinosaur egg (at the exhibition). Experimenting with putting them in, then taking them out of water to watch the growth/shrinkage.
* Learning about measurements by measuring how much the dinosaur toy has grown over a period of time. Playing with rulers and weighing scales.
* Playing Wipeout on the climbing frames at the park after watching videos of it. Timing her on the same run to see if she can beat her score.
* Playing “surprise eggs” by hiding small toys inside play-doh for Nookie to dig out. Pretending to be making a video of the process (like the ones on YouTube).
* Playing with her dolls house, pirate ships and Scooby Doo characters.
* Having a go on pedalos on a lake for the first ever time. Learning what a life jacket is and why we need to wear one when on water.
* Adding bicarbonate of soda to vinegar and trying to inflate a balloon with the resulting gas.
* Playing snakes and ladders and other simple board games. Having a go at playing Battle Ships (and not really getting it yet).
* Playing mini-golf at a park.
* Making “butterfly” pictures with paint and folded paper.
* Playing some new computer games online and on my phone: Happy Wheels, Splatter Up and Temple Run 2.
* Digging up our vegetables from the garden and helping me to prepare and cook them.